Prior to your visit to camp, please download and read the start-up and shutdown procedure manual for the camp – particularly the Mess Hall.
The content of the manual is here as well:
WELCOME TO CAMP BIG MAC
12647 MOSS HOLLOW ROAD
MARKHAM, VIRGINIA 22643
The Claude McDonald Foundation, Inc. strives to make your camping experience an enjoyable one.
Camp Big Mac is an unstaffed camp, where we count on your participation to keep the camp running. Please keep the following points in mind during your visit:
1. Respect the property as if it were your own.
2. Keep all fires safe and insure they are cold out when you depart.
3. Use all fire safety rules when using the grills.
4. Employ all Firearm Safety Rules when using the shooting range.
5. Observe all winter shut down procedures from November 1st to April 15th.
6. Leave some firewood for the next group.
7. Please do not cut live trees for firewood.
8. Leave and embers in wood stove to cool on departure.
9. Take out more trash than you came with.
10. Leave the camp as clean or cleaner than you found it.
11. Report any problems with the camp or facilities to the Camp Director.
12. When departing, make sure the Main electrical breaker is off.
13. Ensure all doors and windows are locked before departing.
14. Make sure main gate is locked when departing.
Please remember your donations keep this camp running, as well as helping to support our continuing improvements of the camp.
Thank you for visiting Camp Big Mac. Your cooperation is appreciated. We hope your stay will be enjoyable.
Camp Big Mac…
Dedicated to the future of our youth…
Dedicated to the enjoyment of the outdoors…
START-UP AND SHUT DOWN PROCEDURES
Summer Season: April 16th to October 31st
Winter Season: November 1st to April 15th
1. The main panel is located in the bunk room of the Mess Hall.
2. When you arrive at the Camp, all electricity should be OFF. (AT MAIN BREAKER
3. Before turning the MAIN BREAKER ON (located at the top of the Panel), check to make sure the WATER HEATER and WATER PUMP breakers are in the OFF positions.
4. Turn the MAIN BREAKER to the ON position.
5. Turn on the breaker for the WATER PUMP.
6. The disconnect switch (located in the main bathroom on the wall next to the window) should be in the OFF position. IMPORTANT: Ensure all valves, faucets and outside hose bibbs are CLOSED before turning this switch ON. Refer to Section B for more information. You should hear water filling the blue water tank and the pressure gauge on the tank will read above zero (0) psi.
7. Fill the WATER SYSTEM so that the water heater is filled. When water comes out of the HOT side of the faucets, the WATER HEATER is filled. (About 5 minutes).
8. Then turn ON the BREAKER for the WATER HEATER. On the wall above the WATER HEATER is a DISCONNECT SWITCH that should then be placed in the ON position.
9. If it is very cold in the Mess Hall, the florescent lights will not light until the room temperature is above freezing. Build a fire in the woodstove. Sometimes a light tap on the lights will help also.
10. Extra bulbs are in the pantry.
11. Electricity for the CABINS and the PAVILION comes out of the MAIN PANEL.
12. The switch for the lights in the PAVILION is located high in the left corner as you enter the PAVILION. Basketball court light switch is high in the right corner.
13. Each CABIN has one light and one outlet. The light switch is located near the door of each cabin. Electricity for the cabins is controlled by the BREAKER marked CABINS.
PROCEDURES FOR START-UP
1. All valves and faucets are to be closed
2. If there is a leak, shut down the system. Shut OFF breaker in panel on wall in bathroom.
3. There are plumbing repair supplies in the bathroom cabinet. If you are unable to fix the leak, contact the Camp Director: Paul Reinsel (703) 491-9520 .
PROCEDURES FOR DRAINING DOWN — Summer
1. Shut-off power to water heater and water pump.
PROCEDURES FOR DRAINING DOWN — Winter
1. Shut-off power to water heater and water pump.
2. Open all valves and faucets — both vanities, shower, kitchen sink and hand wash sink – hot and cold sides.
3. The hot water heater takes about 30 minutes to drain. Open the water heater drain.
4. When the system is drained, pour about 8 ounces of anti-freeze in each drain –vanities, each kitchen sink, hand wash sink and shower. Please bring anti-freeze with you.
5. Flush each of the toilets, then purge the water in the bowls with the plumbers friend, or dip out with a small cup. Pour a cup of anti-freeze in each toilet bowl and tank. Replace tank cover and shut lid on bowl (reduces evaporation of anti-freeze).
Make sure that the following valves are in the OPEN position:
a. IN MAIN BATHROOM (with the water pump and heater)
1. MAIN VALVE – On line out of BLUE PRESSURE TANK
2. PRESSURE TANK DRAIN VALVE – On tee out of BLUE PRESSURE TANK
3. INSIDE COLD WATER DRAIN – Between toilet and vanity.
4. INSIDE HOT WATER DRAIN – Between toilet and vanity.
5. HOT WATER TANK FILL VALVE – On top of HOT WATER TANK.
6. HOT WATER TANK DRAIN VALVE – At bottom of water heater.
b. IN SECOND BATHROOM (with the shower)
3. INSIDE WATER DRAIN – Between toilet and shower (drains into shower).
c. IN KITCHEN
1. COLD WATER HOSE BIBB – on North exterior wall
2. HOT WATER HOSE BIBB – on North exterior wall
Big Mac Mess Hall
OTHER IMPORTANT INFORMATION
1. Please take fire extinguishers to cabins when using woodstoves.
2. Please leave a good stock of firewood inside the mess hall. Hopefully you found the same on your arrival. A small stock of wood in each cabin is sufficient.
3. Please don’t cut live trees for firewood, pioneering projects, etc. There are plenty of dead and down trees on Big Mac.
4. Remind your group to please not run in camp. There have only been 2 broken legs at Big Mac in 54 years, both attributed to running on the trails.
5. Take all food out of the refrigerators and empty ice trays. Leave refrigerator doors open when leaving.
6. If you need to fix or replace equipment, please do so. Contact the Camp Director for reimbursement.
7. Do not bring outside firewood to Big Mac, unless it is kiln dried.
See http://www.dontmovefirewood.org/ for more information.
8. From February 15 to April 30 Virginia has a burn ban in effect.
This law prohibits burning before 4 p.m. each day if the fire is in, or within 300 feet of, woodland, brushland or fields containing dry grass or other flammable materials.
See http://www.dof.virginia.gov/fire/burn-bans.shtml for more information.
9. Lock all doors and windows in the Mess Hall when leaving from Big Mac.
10. Do not chop firewood inside the Mess Hall.
11. When leaving Big Mac, please sweep out the Cabins and sweep and mop the Mess Hall Floor.
12. During the winter season (November 1st to April 15th) please bring anti-freeze with you.
13. Refrain from using ‘anti-bacterial’ soaps in the kitchen or bathrooms. They are not good for the septic system.
Camp Assistance, Linwood Jongema (703) 799-9592 or (cell) 202 270 -0071 .
Dominion Virginia Power 1-888-667-3000 (use camp address)